What a news: Oracle Buys Sun !! I'm not the first one that blogs about it, but anyway let me express my comments. What does it mean for IT:
1. Oracle software will be installed on almost every PC; Sun Java might be renamed to Oracle Java. It will give wider recognition for Oracle trademark also to people that are not so much engaged with IT Industry.
2. Oracle becomes hardware producer. Well, you might know already HP-Oracle Database Machine (Exadata), but this was joint-venture. Now Oracle will produce hardware and software that runs on it. If everything goes right next "Database Machine" will be fully "Oracle".
3. Sun Solaris is #1 platform for running Oracle, and the second one is Linux. This could mean that rate for Linux implementation in enterprises will be lower, as many companies would choose OS and DB from one vendor. I know that Oracle is also offering Linux, but Oracle sales will be promoting Solaris, as this deals will be better for Oracle.
4. Oracle now owns 2, ehh, 3 databases: Oracle, Berkley XML DB and now MySQL. I could mean that MySQL will get even bettor, or rather it will mean that Oracle will offer MySQL customer to migrate to Oracle. So far Oracle does not have good record for supporting free editions of Databases. We will see...
5. With Oracle-Sun merge, Oracle will be shipping now full stack: hardware,OS, Database, Midlleware, ERM, CRM and many others. Oracle is becoming giant now...
Read also what others have to say:
- Mark Rittman - Oracle Buys Sun - What Does It Mean for Oracle BI&DW?
- Pythian - Oracle Buys Sun
- Marco Gralike - Oracle to buy Sun, Ehh MySQL, Ehh Glashfish…
- Tanel Poder - Oracle buys Sun - hooray!
- Tim Hall - Oracle Buy Sun Microsystems…
- Kevin Closson - Everyone Else is Doing It!
- Jaffar - Oracle to acquire SUN?